Friday 14 September 2012

"Amazing Grace"

This past Sunday, we heard of some of Jesus's incredible acts of love, mercy, and healing. To complement the readings, the song we sang for the Offertory was "Amazing Grace". Most of you have probably heard this song many times at Mass, during funerals, and possibly even on TV and in movies; it is a popular and well-loved song, and rightfully so. Amid a beautiful melody are powerful lyrics which extol God's power, grace, and love and offer praise and thanks for these gifts.

The most familiar verse of this song is undoubtedly the first ("Amazing grace, how sweet the sound that saved a wretch like me..."), but the verse that moves and inspires me the most is the third. The lyrics to this verse go as follows:

"The Lord has promised good to me;
His word my hope secures.
He will my shield and portion be
As long as life endures."

God: My Shield and Portion


Let us first look at the third and fourth lines, which remind us that via our relationship with God, we receive everything we truly need.

There is a difference between that which we want (things that make our lives more fun or convenient) and that which we really need. We likely all have had experiences in the past where we see some consumer item and think, "Oh, I need this" piece of clothing, food, or electronics. Personally, my two weaknesses are shoes and kitchen gadgets. Many times have I seen a sparkly pair of peep-toe shoes or a brightly coloured silicone whisk (yes, I'm a kitchen nerd, haha) and thought how much I would love to own them. But, most of the time I resist, because I remind myself that I don't really need these possessions.

What in life do we truly need?

We need physical health and safety, reliable shelter, food and drink, and loving relationships. I feel very fortunate to say that I have indeed been blessed with these things, and I know many of you have, too. They are wonderful gifts that have been given to me by God, and I give Him thanks in prayer every day. I never want to take my blessings for granted. Instead, I pray to God every day for the ability to always recognize the value of the gifts He has given to me, and the ability to make the most of them. That is, I want to draw from these assets, particularly my cherished relationships, to learn and grow and become a person who is better equipped to make positive differences for others.

Yes, life is undoubtedly full of blessings that we should take care to recognize and nurture. Sometimes, however, life can get rather difficult. We or a loved one may experience a serious illness or injury. One may suffer a great loss, such as the death of a loved one or the end of a relationship, or endure severe financial hardship. Such experiences can bring about great feelings of anxiety and fear. Things may seem utterly hopeless, and we may feel utterly alone. But in times like this, it is beneficial to remember that we are never alone; God is always there beside us, ready to be our shield from the storm. God will provide us with the help, comfort, and love that we need. It is up to us, however, to ask for it! Pray to God, fervently and wholeheartedly, and He will answer you.

One thing to keep in mind is that sometimes we may not always see or understand God's answer right away. This relates back to the point on what we want versus what we need. We may think that God hasn't answered our prayers because we haven't been given exactly what we want; however, it may very well be the case that God has instead given us exactly what we need. We may think we know just what is right for us, and sometimes we may be correct. Being human, however, we are not perfect, and as much as we might like to think so, we do not know absolutely everything. The only one who does is God.

As such, we are called to put our total faith and trust in the Lord, to have our hope secured by His loving Word. When times get difficult and things are not going as we would like, we should try to remember that God has a loving plan for each and every one of us. We might not understand it at the time, and there may be many twists and turns along the way, but He will lead us to exactly where it is that we need to be.


A question for discussion:

In what specific ways has God been your shield and portion?

I would love for you to share your ideas with me in the Comments section!

Finally, a small bit of advertising:

My fiance, some friends, and I are involved in a Catholic young adults' group called WE CAN (Windsor-Essex Catholic young Adults Network). It is for young people aged 19-35 who are interested in spiritual growth and development as well as in socializing with other individuals of the faith. We meet once a month, generally the second Friday of the month, for prayer, spiritual discussion, food, and games. Music and/or guest speakers are sometimes part of the night as well. If you are interested in receiving more information, you can check out our Facebook group here and/or email us here.

2 comments:

  1. These are great posts Karen !!! Looking forward to reading more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Colleen! I really appreciate the support, and I'm glad you're enjoying the posts. :)

      Delete